Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Busan (Pusan)

Alright, most likely this is the last post before the baby comes, but this pretty much updates us to that point anyways. You all should be proud of us :)

The first weekend in May we went down to Busan which is on the south coast of Korea (a 2-3 hour train ride from Seoul). Tuesday, May 5th was "Children's Day" here in Korea so Nate got the day off so he took off Monday as well so we left Friday after Nate got off work. Nate made reservations through Orbit so we got a good discount. Well, when we got to the hotel there was no reservation. Imagine a 3 hour train ride with a pregnant woman and a 2 1/2 year old after not arriving to the hotel until almost 8pm. (none of us had eaten except small snacks) and it took Nate almost an hour to clear things up to get us a place to stay for the weekend. They did cut us a deal and ended up letting us stay at the hotel for the weekend but we had to cancel it with Orbit and get our money back that way. As we were going up to our room Nate made the comment "they know how to TAKE the reservation...but they don't know how to HOLD the reservation. Which is really the most important part". It was definitely the quote of the weekend. Those of you who recognize it will be just as proud of him as I was. (I have taught him well :)
At least it added humor to the frustrating first night!

Saturday- We went to a Buddhist Temple (not knowing that it happened to be Buddha's birthday that day...so BUSY!!!) I guess it's just like Easter in the states everyone goes to the "temple" like everyone goes to church that day. It was quite interesting. As we walked up the hill and got closer to the entrance of the temple they had statues of the Chinese year (ex the dog, monkey, horse etc). They also had a little hand chair that Morgan of course just loved! The next 3 pictures are from the temple. It was right on the coast and lined with Korean lanterns. They had several different buildings with statues and pictures with candles in front of them that people could kneel in front of and pray or bow or whatever else they do. It wasn't very easy to explain to Morgan that what they all were doing was something we don't believe in when everyone around you was doing it. We had also just been reading in her Book of Mormon about idols so we tried to relate it to that as well. She seemed to understand because she never tried to imitate anyone around us.


After the temple we walked down the big hill and went to a VERY Korean restaurant. Now I enjoy some Korean food. But I have NEVER seen or eaten what they served there at the restaurant. Morgan and I weren't very happy with Nate when it came to lunch. They even gave Nate a whole fish with the eyes, tail, mouth (you name it) all attached and Nate picked at it with the chopsticks and was eating it. I almost lost it! He had to hide it behind some bowls so that I didn't see it. Afterwards we went to the beach back by our hotel. The water of course was freezing so we ended up just playing in it and trying to run away from the waves. Morgan could have spent all day there and I have to agree it was a lot of fun especially seeing her laugh so much. Later that night we went back to the beach and set off some fireworks. (something that our other kids and most of Morgan's cousins won't get a chance to do). We got some sparklers, fountains, and some small ones that actually shot up into the air. It was quite fun. Morgan really enjoyed it as well.

They also had some type of concert/dance right there off the beach. Morgan of course wanted to go and dance. I thought it was really sweet Morgan and daddy dancing that I couldn't resist taking the pictures.

Sunday we took the opportunity to go to another aquarium. Morgan's favorite exhibit were the penguins. They would swim right up to the window and get right next to her. (unfortunately, they moved around so much the pictures didn't come out very well). They did have some statues of some penguins that we took her picture by. And while doing that some people came up to us to ask if they could take a picture of their child with Morgan. Nate and I figured we should just open our own little exhibit and start charging for pictures with her :)

Where's Debbie?

We also walked through a fish market where Morgan learned quite quickly how much fish stink!!
On Monday we went to a fortress hidden up in the mountains. The drive was quite pretty however, lots of windy roads twisting back and forth. Riding in the bus on the way back I was almost thrown out the back window and could have gone into labor! The story of the day was some girl came out of the bathroom wanting us to call her phone because she had dropped it down the hole. She wanted to know if she could see it. I am hoping that she wasn't planning on trying to get it back. I would have just said goodbye phone and not even try that one!

While walking back from the bus stop toward our hotel, we passed by a long line of school girls just getting out of school. (there was well over 100 and all dressed in their school uniforms). Morgan, thank goodness, was riding on top of Nate's shoulders otherwise I don't think we would have made it back. As the girls passed they waved and ahh'd and ohhh'd their admiration of Morgan. You could tell when in the line they saw her cause you would hear the ahhhs and see the waving start. Morgan sat on top of Nate and waved her little hand as if she were in a parade. The whole twisting of the wrist and everything. You couldn't help but just laugh.

We went back to the beach after that where we took the "picture of the trip" (below) and back again that night and did fireworks again. It was a really nice break and even nicer to have Nate with us and not his work! :) Morgan still thinks we are close to the beach and talks about going after night night. I think Korea would be more enjoyable too if we lived that close to the beach.


2 comments:

Dawnelle Anderson said...

I am glad to see you are pregnant and we just hope it doesn't come out looking Korean. haha
Hope Morgan is feeling better from the croup and don't stress out too much!

Meg said...

Happy Kids day Morgan! I'm lovin' the pregnant belly Debbie!